Periodontal disease is an infection of the gum tissue, which can have a negative impact on your overall health in many ways. The team at Scott and Derry Dental Care is committed to helping our patients combat this condition through preventive dental care, oral hygiene education, and advanced gum disease treatments in Milton, ON.
How gum disease develops
Periodontal disease is an inflammatory condition, caused by infection of the gum tissue. It begins with plaque, the sticky substance that coats teeth between brushings. Plaque also settles around the gumline, where tissue attaches to teeth.
- If not completely removed, plaque hardens and becomes tartar.
- Tartar irritates gum tissue, causing inflammation and infection.
- Damaged gum tissue detaches from the surface of the tooth, creating a small pocket.
- The pockets around teeth are especially difficult to clean with a toothbrush, and they rapidly collect plaque and tartar.
- Additional tartar buildup causes further inflammation, and gums further detach from teeth, deepening the pockets.
- As the destructive cycle continues, infection can eventually reach periodontal ligaments, bone, and tooth roots.
- Advanced gum disease can eventually cause teeth to fall out or become so loose that extraction is the only option.
Preventing or reversing gum disease
The best way to prevent periodontal disease is diligent oral hygiene coupled with regular dental care. It is essential to brush at least twice a day, and floss at least once, in order to remove new plaque buildup. However, even with careful brushing and flossing, it can be easy to miss a bit of plaque here and there, especially between teeth or along the gumline.
Patient Educational Video about Gum DiseaseVideo Transcript
During routine cleanings, your hygienist will remove any lingering tartar, and advise you about improving brushing technique. If any signs of gum disease are detected during your dental exam, we may recommend deep cleaning, which includes scaling and root planing. These simple steps can usually reverse early-stage gingivitis.
Treating advanced gum disease
It is never too late to restore your oral health! If you have gum disease, we will work with you to create an individual plan, based on your unique needs. This may include:
- Deep cleaning
- Antibiotic medications to kill infection
- Laser therapy
- An enhanced schedule of dental cleanings
- Restoration of damaged teeth, or replacement of lost teeth
Scott and Derry Dental Care - Dr. Jameela Jifri
If you are looking for a dentist facility where your entire family can get treated with the same professional care, Scott and Derry dental care is the one for you. We provide a comfortable environment for patients of all ages and backgrounds to get treated for dental related issues. With up to date technology and the latest equipment, we assure the best quality services from our skilled team of dentists led by Dr.Jameela Jifri. Our services range from preventive, general, hygiene, restorative dental treatments and cosmetic enhancements to dental surgeries. As we value your convenience we offer flexible appointment schedules with weekends and late-night appointment time and easy locations with free parking facilities. Dental facilities are designed with free Wi-Fi, a clean environment and a classy ambience to help patients relax and feel comfortable at all times. All treatments are catered to each patient's unique conditions and needs including their lifestyle and budget. Our staff consists of professional individuals who are passionate about helping people lead a healthier happy life and they are ready to guide you throughout the process with any help needed.