Are your front teeth crooked when you smile? Do you have issues with spacing and crowding in your teeth? Does your bite seem like it is not quite right? If so, one of the orthodontic options offered at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, ON may be just what you need to gain confidence in your smile and restore health to your mouth.
The health benefits of straight teeth
We all know how a beautiful, straight smile can enhance a person’s appearance, making them look youthful, attractive, and healthy. But what many people aren’t aware of is that straight teeth also improve the health of your whole mouth.
- When your teeth are crowded or overlap each other, the tight spaces can be tough to clean and create a haven for bacteria to multiply, which leads to dental decay, infections, and gum disease
- If your bite is not correctly aligned, it can cause uneven wear and tear on your teeth and even damage your tooth and gum structures
- Bite problems can affect what you feel comfortable eating, reducing the number of crunchy, but healthy, fruits and vegetables you eat
- Issues with your bite and teeth also cause systemic issues such as headaches and tension in your jaw muscles and joints
Also, just as importantly, having a healthy smile that you are confident in showing off can have numerous benefits on your social, home, and work life. When you’re not afraid to smile, it can bring positive change in all aspects of your life!
How an orthodontist can help
It’s a common misconception that orthodontics is only for children and teenagers. In fact, adult orthodontics are very common – in fact, it is estimated that more than one-quarter of orthodontic patients in Canada are over the age of 21. There is no such thing as being too old to straighten your teeth and align your jaw!
If you are interested in improving your smile, a qualified orthodontist like the team at Scott and Derry Dental Care can evaluate your teeth and bite to determine the best treatment plan. To do this, Dr. Jameela Jifri and associates will take images of your mouth, conduct a thorough examination, and discuss your preferences with you so that you can arrive at an informed decision about your treatment that you are comfortable with. We encourage patients to ask questions about their options so that they are well educated about their treatment and what to expect.
Common orthodontics options chosen by adults
Even if you are committed to straightening your teeth, the thought of wearing metal wire-and-bracket braces for years may be daunting. The great news is that with modern orthodontics technology, you may not have to! Invisalign is a great option for patients who don’t want to go the traditional route of metal braces. With Invisalign treatment, you wear a series of clear aligners that are discreet and virtually undetectable by others to gradually straighten your teeth. One of our patients’ favorite benefits of Invisalign is that your treatment is mapped out at the very beginning, so you can see what your results will look like before you even begin!
Invisalign works well for patients with:
- Mild to moderate tooth misalignment
- Mild gaps in between teeth
- Mild to moderate bite issues such as overbite or underbite
If you have more severe issues with alignment or bite problems, then other options are available. Traditional wire-and-bracket braces and other orthodontic appliances can be a great option for more advanced needs. In this case, clear braces can often be used so they are less noticeable than metal.
How do I know if orthodontics is a good choice for me?
The best way to get started is to schedule a consultation. Patients at Scott and Derry Dental Care can expect personalized, friendly care from the moment they walk into the office. In general, we follow these steps to evaluate and treat patients who are interested in straightening their teeth:
- We evaluate your overall oral health, teeth, and bite with x-rays and a visual examination
- If you have any existing dental problems, such as gum disease or areas of tooth decay, we will address those before we begin orthodontic treatment to help prevent the issues from progressing or inhibiting the effectiveness of the orthodontia
- We will take impressions of your mouth to create your customized treatment plan
- Your treatment will begin
- If you are using Invisalign, your custom-fitted clear aligners will be given to you with instructions on how long to wear them and how to care for them, as well as how often to switch them out (typically every two weeks)
- If you will have braces placed on your teeth, we will prepare the teeth and cement the brackets on your teeth, followed by wires that connect the brackets
- We will provide you all of the information you need on caring for your teeth while you are undergoing treatment; if you are wearing braces, you will need to take special care to keep your teeth and gums healthy and you will also need to avoid certain foods
- You will return at regular intervals for check-ups to monitor your progress and to adjust as needed
- Your treatment will conclude, and we will remove any brackets or appliances so you can walk out with your beautiful new smile!
Schedule a consultation to learn more
If you have been searching for “Find orthodontics near me,” the hunt is over! At Scott and Derry Dental Centre, the beautiful smile you’ve always wanted is within your reach. If you are tired of looking in the mirror at crooked teeth or hiding the imperfections in your smile, we encourage you to call us at (855) 438-4999 to schedule a consultation today. Our office is conveniently located at 6521 Derry Road West in Milton, ON so you can easily get to your appointments from work or home. We are always accepting new patients into our warm, inviting dental practice and love seeing our patients’ smile transformations!
I highly recommend this office. The staff is very professional. Got my cleaning and filling done here. Very happy with the professional service. they take their time and they really care about the patients.