How to treat the bacterial infection that causes gum disease
While many factors can contribute to the development of gum disease, at its core, it is a bacterial infection that creates a destructive cycle of inflammation that can ultimately lead to gum recession, loose teeth, bone loss, and even tooth loss. At Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, ON, we offer a range of preventive services and treatment options for gum disease.
How we treat gum disease
Gum disease is a progressive condition that can cause various serious oral health problems if left untreated. Fortunately, at its earliest stage (gingivitis), gum disease is reversible. It can often be managed with a rigorous home hygiene routine and regular professional cleanings to eliminate the plaque, tartar, and bacteria that contribute to gum disease.
If gum disease has progressed into periodontitis the more serious stage, a more intensive treatment plan is necessary to help you maintain your oral health. At this stage, gum disease is not considered “curable,” but there are many options available to help manage the condition:
- Deep cleanings (also called scaling and root planing) help remove built-up plaque and bacteria formed in the periodontal pockets caused by gum disease. These pockets develop between the teeth and gums and are a breeding ground for bacteria because they are impossible to clean with brushing and flossing at home. We clean out the pockets during deep cleaning, disinfect the area, and then smooth out the tooth root to assist the gums in reattaching to the tooth.
- Antibiotic medications, either topical or oral, may be necessary to eradicate the underlying bacterial infection.
- Laser therapy can be used to remove diseased tissue and sanitize the area.
- Dental restorations such as dental crowns and natural-looking tooth replacement options can help restore the function and look of your smile after tooth damage or loss due to gum disease.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
(855) 438-4999book your appointment
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Your partners in oral health
Our dental team cares about every patient, and we will work closely with you to create a treatment plan that is right for your oral health needs, treatment preferences, and budget. To schedule your appointment at Scott and Derry Dental Care, call our Milton, ON office today at (855) 438-4999!
Share this Article
Back to Gum Disease Page