Dental hygiene team in Milton, ON keeps smiles sparkling
Every smile has unique character, and most do not require a lot of cosmetic enhancement to radiate warmth. They all, however, need good dental hygiene for appealingly attractive oral health. Dr. Jameela Jifri and her team at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, ON provide a broad range of affordable hygiene and preventive services.
Why hygiene matters
An adult normally has 32 “permanent” teeth. They are designed to work with the rest of your body for healthy respiration, clear communication, and enjoyable eating. Without good dental hygiene, though, “permanent” teeth won’t likely provide a lifetime of service.
Here are some of the ways quality of life takes a hit from inadequate hygiene:
- Oral health – Dental trauma (such as a slip and fall, sports injury, or vehicle accident) can happen to anyone, but excellent oral hygiene heads off many common problems. It reduces bacterial counts in the mouth that are the root cause of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Wellness – Missing teeth limit the foods you can consume, which can cause nutritional deficiency or digestive problems. Bacteria responsible for gum disease are also linked to an increased risk of serious systemic illnesses including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, respiratory ailments, certain cancers, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Opportunity – Caring about how your smile looks is not conceited . . . it is an investment in yourself. While it may not be fair, other people make assumptions about your lifestyle and health based on the smell of your breath and the condition of your teeth. That can impact friendships, romance, and career success. When YOU like what you see in the mirror, you are more likely to smile cordially, encouraging others to see you as confident and friendly.
- Comfort – A toothache (whether chronic or acute) or an abscess is no fun. Plus, most people would prefer to avoid extractions, oral surgery, and extensive dental work. Hygiene helps to keep your mouth functioning comfortably.
- Finances – Good oral hygiene is cost–effective in the long term. It helps you avoid the expense of fillings, crowns, root canal therapy, extractions, bridges, and dental implants. Any one of those procedures can easily exceed the cost of a cleaning and examination.
Daily dental hygiene
You are the first line of defense against dental problems. The hygiene team at Scott and Derry Dental Care is happy to develop a home care strategy tailored to your needs. They provide advice on the most appropriate type of toothbrush, paste, and floss, and give hands-on instruction in proper technique. You will talk about hydration, sports drinks and sweet or acidic beverages, and lifestyle habits (tobacco, nail-biting, ice chewing, etc.). Feel free to ask questions regarding nutritional choices related to oral health, and any concerns you might have about your mouth. These discussions are also a great opportunity to learn more about preventive services available at Scott and Derry Dental Care.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Professional dental hygiene services in Milton, ON
While you have the chance every day to keep your mouth clean, there are spots you cannot see or reach. A dental hygienist is trained to use instruments designed specifically to remove bacterial plaque, hardened tartar, and stains from all exposed tooth surfaces – including hidden crevices and overlaps. People with reasonably good oral and overall health should have teeth cleaned at least twice a year.
After teeth are cleaned, the dentist performs a comprehensive examination, checking each tooth for signs of decay or damage, and screening for oral cancers. With early detection, most dental problems can be resolved economically and efficiently.
Topical fluoride treatment and dental sealants are not just for kids. These preventive measures also dramatically reduce the risk of cavities for adults. This level of protection is especially important for smokers and anyone with a hereditary tendency to develop decay.
Deep cleaning helps get gum disease under control. This is a more extensive procedure that removes plaque beneath the gum line, smooths root surfaces, and reduces harmful bacteria in periodontal pockets around teeth. The goal of scaling and root planing is to re-establish a tight, healthier seal of gum tissue to teeth, halting the progression of periodontal disease. Then, a good program of nutrition and home care, with more frequent regular cleanings helps to preserve gum health.
Our team is eager to team up with you to keep your mouth healthy and attractive! Call Scott and Derry Dental Care to schedule dental hygiene services. The number in Milton, ON is (855) 438-4999, and new patients are welcome.
Share this Article
Back to Dental Hygiene Page