No teeth? No problem! Restore Your Smile with Dental Implants in Milton
Here at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, ON, we offer a full range of dental treatments, so that every patient can enjoy great oral health and a beautiful smile. Even if your teeth are so badly damaged that extraction is necessary, or some are already missing, we can restore your smile with dental implants.
What are dental implants?
Technically, a dental implant is a prosthetic tooth root. It is made of titanium or zirconia, both of which are exceptionally strong and resilient materials. Although there are various styles, an implant is generally similar in size and shape to a natural tooth root. It is placed in the jawbone surgically and serves the same functions as a root.
When people talk about dental implants, they are usually referring to the complete tooth replacement treatment. This includes one or several implants, which provide a solid foundation A customized restoration, usually made from high strength porcelain, replaces the visible portion of the teeth. In most implant styles, the restoration is permanently attached to the implants.
Why implant treatment is the gold standard
Most dentists, including Dr. Jifri, highly recommend dental implant treatment, and most patients agree.
- Functionality – Dental implants are fixed, and they are just as stable as natural teeth. You won’t have to worry about them slipping, becoming sloppy, or causing embarrassing mishaps in the middle of a meal. No matter what you eat or how hard you laugh, you can enjoy the confidence of knowing your teeth won’t let you down.
- Health – Did you know that teeth help keep your jawbone healthy? When you chew the pressure is transferred from the upper tooth surface to the root and on to the bone. While you might expect this strain to cause wear and tear on the bone tissue, the opposite is true. It stimulates healthy cell regeneration, strengthening the bone. Without stimulation from a dental implant or tooth root, the bone resorbs, much like an unused muscle will shrink and atrophy.
- Aesthetics – With our exceptional cosmetic dentistry protocol, all restorations are designed to look natural and beautiful. However, the structure of dentures is very different from that of natural teeth. By necessity, they are attached to a frame. In the case of a full denture, they also cover the gums. Implants replicate the structure of teeth and they are restored with porcelain, which has aesthetic properties very similar to tooth enamel.
- Comfort –A full denture covers your gums, and an upper denture also covers the roof of your mouth. They might look like real teeth, but they certainly don’t feel natural according to many patients. Some people also say that dental bridges and partial dentures feel bulky. Implants, on the other hand, replicate the shape and structure of teeth. The restorations are made of porcelain, which is like tooth enamel. Therefore, they feel as natural as they look.
- Longevity – On average, dental bridges are expected to last between five and fifteen years. Dentures are expected to last from five to eight years, and they usually need to be relined a few times. Implants can easily last for the rest of your life if you take care of them.
- Convenience – You need to remove dentures, soak them, use a special cleaning brush, and possibly apply adhesive to keep them stable. Bridges are fixed, but that presents a different kind of oral hygiene challenge, because you need to clean between the false tooth and the gum. How do you care for implants? The answer is the same way as natural teeth.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Exploring your treatment options
For most people, in most circumstances, dental implants are the best choice. However, we understand that every person is different, and there is no universal “best” solution for any problem. Patients with time or budget constraints, or those who are not healthy enough for a minor oral surgery, may prefer an alternative. Therefore, we also offer:
- Conventional partial denture – This removable appliance replaces one or several teeth. It is held in place with metal fasteners.
- Conventional full denture – This removable appliance replaces all the teeth in an arch. It covers the soft tissue, which creates suction that holds it in place. An immediate denture can be placed as soon as teeth are extracted.
- Crown-and-bridgework – Often simply called a dental bridge, this fixed restoration replaces one or a few teeth. The replacement teeth are attached to crowns, which are placed on remaining teeth adjacent to the gap.
Whether you want dental implants or another option to restore your smile, you can count on the expertise of Dr. Jifri and the team at Scott and Derry Dental Care. Just give us a call at (855) 438-4999 and schedule a consultation to get started.
Share this Article
Back to Dental Implants Page