Milton dentist describes TMJ symptoms and treatment options
The jaw joint, known as the temporomandibular joint or TMJ, is the joint that hinges the jaw and attaches it to the human skull. This jaw joint is responsible for allowing the mouth to open and close for speaking and eating. However, there are times when this specific joint can become problematic. Dr. Jameela Jifri of Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, Ontario, educates patients on the condition known as TMJ disorder, or TMD, its symptoms, and the treatment options available.
What is TMJ disorder?
When the temporomandibular joint is dysfunctional, it often becomes a problem for the patient. It impacts the jaw joint and the surrounding muscles. Patients may notice a variety of issues that begin to develop, including:
- Chronic pain around the jaw joint
- Headaches and migraines
- Locking of the jaw in the open or closed position
- Popping, cracking, and other sounds when eating or speaking
- Pain radiating from the ears down through the neck and shoulders
- Bruxism (clenching and grinding)
- Stiffening and tightening of the jaw joint
Once patients have been diagnosed with this condition, they can then work with a dentist to learn more about treatment options. Our team may recommend one of the following or might suggest a combination of treatments together for the best results. Treatment options for TMJ/TMD include:
- Over-the-counter pain medications
- Anti-inflammatory prescription medications
- Changes in lifestyle including a diet of softer foods
- Massage therapy and relaxation techniques
- Methods of reducing stress
- Physical therapy
- Bite adjustment or realignment with orthodontia
- Oral appliance therapy
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Concerned that you may be dealing with TMJ/TMD?
Learn more about the signs and symptoms of this condition and the treatment options available. Call Dr. Jameela Jifri and her associates at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, Ontario. The office is located at 6521 Derry Road #7 and accepts new patients who call (855) 438-4999.Back to TMJ TMD Treatment Page