TMJ exercises and solutions for pain relief and management
At Scott and Derry Dental Care of Milton, Ontario, our team offers assistance in diagnosing and treating conditions such as TMD. TMD is a disorder caused by a malfunctioning TMJ joint and can be addressed with medication, exercises, or surgery.
What is the TMJ?
TMJ is the acronym for “temporomandibular joint.” This is the jaw joint responsible for allowing you to open and close your mouth. In some instances, this joint may become dysfunctional, resulting in TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorder, which causes pain and discomfort. Many patients with mild TMD can address the issue with over-the-counter pain medications, though our team may also recommend special TMJ exercises for pain relief.
What are some exercises patients can perform to alleviate TMJ pain?
Below are a few exercise recommendations for TMJ pain management:
- Jaw stretches – gently open your mouth as wide as possible and hold for 10 seconds, then repeat 10 times.
- Neck rolls – slowly roll your head in a circular motion, taking care not to strain the neck muscles.
- Chin tucks – gently tuck your chin towards your chest, holding for 10 seconds and repeating 10 times.
- Chewing gum – make sure to choose sugar-free gum and chew on both sides evenly to exercise the jaw muscles.
- Facial massages – using your fingers or a massage tool, lightly massage the jaw, cheek, and temples in circular motions to relieve tension.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at (855) 438-4999book your appointment online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
(855) 438-4999book your appointment
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Are TMJ exercises for pain relief right for me?
It’s important to always consult with a healthcare professional such as Dr. Jameela Jifri and her team at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, Ontario, before starting any exercise routine, especially if dealing with TMJ pain. They will be able to tailor exercises specifically for your needs and ensure proper form to prevent further injury. Additionally, be sure to listen to your body and stop any exercise that causes severe discomfort or pain.
If you are genuinely interested in learning more about addressing pain relief and reducing the symptoms of TMJ/TMD, it is time to speak to Scott and Derry Dental Care to determine if this or other solutions may be needed. Call (855) 438-4999 and request an appointment at the office located at 6521 Derry Road, Unit #7.
Share this Article
Back to TMJ TMD Treatment Page