Healthy tips for good dental hygiene from Milton, ON dentist
Everyone knows that taking care of their teeth and gums is important but may not be aware of all the steps they can take to keep their mouth in optimal health. Read on for healthy tips for good dental hygiene from Dr. Jameela Jifri, dentist at Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, ON.
Maintain a good home care regimen
One of the most important things you can do for your oral health is to take care of your teeth at home –multiple times per day, every day.
- Brush your teeth after every meal, or at least twice per day, with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a high-quality toothpaste
- Floss your teeth or use another interdental cleaner at least once per day to clean between your teeth
- If desired or recommended by the dentist, use an antibacterial mouthwash to help eliminate any remaining bacteria
Eat a healthy diet
What you eat plays a role in the health of your teeth and gums. Regularly consuming sweet or starchy foods and beverages such as candies, breads, pretzels, desserts, sodas, or other sweetened beverages can contribute to tooth decay and gum disease because they provide an abundant source of sugars for bacteria to consume and multiply in your mouth. Healthy alternatives such as crunchy apples and carrots are better in two ways: they don’t leave behind extra sugars on your teeth and can help clean your teeth as you bite and chew on these hard foods. Chewing sugar-free gum after meals when you are unable to brush can also help increase the amount of saliva in your mouth, which reduces the acid caused by plaque.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
See your dentist regularly
It can be easy to skip routine dental visits, but they are one of the easiest and most important ways to keep your mouth healthy. During preventive care visits at Scott and Derry Dental Care, we perform several tasks designed to ensure that your teeth and gums are clean and healthy.
First, a dental hygienist will gently but thoroughly clean your teeth and gums. This professional cleaning consists of multiple parts:
- Scaling is done with specialized instruments to remove any stains, plaque, and tartar that have deposited on your teeth; once it forms, tartar cannot be removed by brushing and flossing at home, and it is a primary contributor to tooth decay and gum disease, so it is important to have it removed professionally
- Your teeth are polished with a buffing compound that is designed to smooth the surface of your teeth, prevent plaque from forming, and give your teeth that beautiful pearly sheen
- A professional flossing is done to remove any debris or bacteria from between your teeth
At this point, we will also perform any preventive treatments that are necessary, such as applying fluoride to thee teeth or painting on dental sealants to protect the deep grooves and crevices in molars from decay.
The second part of your preventive care appointment is the check-up. The dentist will carefully examine your teeth and mouth for any signs of issues, such as gum disease, tooth decay, or oral cancer. Imaging such as comfortable and quick digital x-rays may be necessary to get a complete picture of your oral health.
Talk to your dentist about options for tooth grinding
Regularly grinding and clenching your jaw can cause severe damage your teeth over time. If you notice that you clench and grind your teeth or have symptoms such as regularly waking up with a headache, sore jaw, or unusual wear and tear on your teeth, it is important to talk to your dentist about options such as a protective night guard to stop grinding and keep your teeth healthy.
Schedule your professional cleaning and check-up today!
At Scott and Derry Dental Care, we love welcoming new patients to our dental family. We provide compassionate, gentle care in our relaxing office environment and offer several options to make getting your dental care more convenient, such as online appointment requests, special discount offers, and evening office hours every weekday. To schedule your professional cleaning and check-up, call our Milton, ON office today at (855) 438-4999 if you are a new patient, or (905) 875-2701 if you are an existing patient.
Share this Article
Back to Dental Hygiene Page