Looking for dentists in Milton, ON for dental implants? Come to Scott and Derry Dental Care
There are many reasons for tooth loss. Disease or traumatic injury are among the most common. Years ago, the options to replace missing teeth weren’t always natural looking or functioning. In truth, most of the time other people could tell that you had fake teeth. Today, dental technology has come a long way and tooth restorations options look, feel, and function more closely to natural teeth. At Scott and Derry Dental Care, our team of dentists loves helping patients restore their smiles with the help of dental implants. There are many benefits to choosing dental implants over other dental restorations. In the following article, we’ll look at how dental implants work and their main advantages.
Dental Implants, explained
Before we can explain how dental implant work, we should start off by explaining the anatomy of your natural tooth. A tooth is made up of a crown (the visible portion above the gum line) and the root, the tree branch like an anchor that lies below the gum line. When you bite or chew your food, there’s significant pressure on the teeth and the jawbone. Together, the crown and root can withstand this force allowing you to eat without fear of a tooth falling out.
When you lose a tooth, either because it falls out or must be extracted, you may just be worried about the visible hole in your smile. After all, that is what people will see when you smile. However, replacing what isn’t visible beneath the gum line is equally important to completely restore appearance and functionality.
Call the cosmetic dentist trusted throughout the Milton, ON area - Scott and Derry Dental Care at
online. Every restorative treatment and cosmetic strategy is an individualized experience here.
Dental implants consist of three main components. The first is the dental implant itself which is a post that is surgically placed into the jawbone to replace and take over the function of the lost root. Attached to the implant is the second piece – the abutment – which connects the third and final piece, the artificial tooth that fills in the gap of the smile.
Candidates for dental implants should be in good oral health. Any issues such as periodontal disease will need to be addressed before receiving dental implants.
It’s also important that there is enough structure to the jawbone for the dental implant to successfully heal and support the final restoration. If you have experienced bone loss, you may still be a candidate for dental implants, Dr. Jifri and her team will be able to advise you on what’s necessary in order to move forward.
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants provide you with a wide range of advantages over other tooth replacement options. The implant itself firmly holds the final restoration in place so that you can eat all your favorite foods and speak without the fear that your dentures will move or slip out place. Here are some other benefits:
- Dental implants truly become a part of your mouth. The implant fuses with the jawbone during a healing process known as osseointegration.
- Dental implants protect your jawbone from deterioration. When a tooth or teeth are lost, bone loss will begin to occur because there is no stimulation from biting forces.
- Dental implants are secure. You don’t have to worry about them slipping around or falling out.
- Dental implants are versatile. They can be used to replace a single missing tooth or an entire arch of teeth.
- Dental implants protect healthy teeth. Unlike dental bridges that require filing down of healthy teeth to make room for dental crowns, dental implants do not require any alteration to other teeth.
- Dental implants are long-lasting. With good oral hygiene and routine dental care, they can last you the rest of your life.
- Dental implants are natural-looking. The final restoration will be custom fabricated to look like any remaining healthy teeth so that your smile looks natural.
Contact your Milton, ON dentist today for a consultation
If you have been searching for dentists in Milton, ON that provide dental implants, you have arrived at the right place with the team at Scott and Derry Dental Care. Dr. Jifri and Associates are experienced in restoring smiles with implants. We’re happy to answer any questions to determine if dental implant treatment is the right option for you. To schedule your consultation, please give us a call at (905) 875-2701.
Back to Dental Implants Page