Dental hygiene tips for preschoolers
At Scott and Derry Dental Care, we serve patients of all ages at our facility, working with both kids and adults to assist with oral health and wellness. One age we often see in our practice is that of preschoolers who are ready to bring their healthiest smile into the classroom! If you have a preschooler, you know exactly how hard it can be to keep them on track and make sure they are keeping their teeth clean and healthy. Below are a few dental hygiene tips for preschoolers to help parents in the Milton, Ontario, area manage their child’s oral health:
- Schedule regular dental check-ups and cleanings: The best way to ensure that your preschooler’s teeth are healthy is to bring them in for routine check-ups and cleanings at our office. During these appointments, we can catch any problems early and provide treatment if necessary. We recommend that all children see their dentist every six months.
- Teach your child how to brush their teeth properly: You need to make sure you properly teach your kid how to correctly brush their teeth so that they can maintain good oral hygiene at home. Show them how to brush all of their teeth using circular motions and paying particular attention to the gum line. Make sure they use enough toothpaste (a pea-sized amount) and that they spit it out after brushing.
- Help them floss their teeth: Flossing is just as important as brushing, but it can be difficult for young children to do on their own. That’s why parents need to help their child floss their teeth until they are old enough to do it themselves.
- Limit sugary snacks and drinks that may have lots of sugar or acid: Too much sugar or acidic foods and beverages can lead to cavities, so be sure to limit the number of sugary snacks and drinks your preschooler consumes. Instead, opt for healthier options, including fruits and vegetables or water.
- Monitor their oral health at home: In between dental appointments, you should monitor your child’s oral health at home by looking for any signs of problems that may be developing and scheduling an appointment when necessary.
Request a visit today to learn more from a children’s dentist “near me!”
If you are considering a pediatric dentist in Milton, ON, and want to speak to the team at Scott and Derry Dental Care, connect with Dr. Jameela Jifri and her associates today! Call (855) 438-4999 to request an appointment and learn more about how we can assist you with your child’s dental needs. Our office is open to new patients and is located at 6521 Derry Road, Unit #7.
Share this Article
Back to Childrens Dentist Page