Dental Hygiene Care for a sparkling, healthy smile
Most people know that they should brush and floss every day, but how and when you brush your teeth, as well as other small habits throughout the day, can all make a big difference in the health of your smile. At Scott and Derry Dental Care in Milton, Ontario, we love helping our patients keep their smiles healthy at home by providing quick and easy dental hygiene tips.
- Brush after every meal, or at least twice per day, making sure to brush your teeth before bed. Bacteria, plaque, and debris all accumulate on our teeth during the day. Brushing after meals and before bed helps get rid of these disease-causing substances.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and high-quality fluoride toothpaste. When shopping for toothpaste, look for the Canadian Dental Association seal.
- Make sure to brush your tongue. Did you know that plaque can build up on your tongue, just like your teeth? This can contribute to bad breath and other oral health problems but can be avoided by gently brushing your tongue each time you brush your teeth.
- Floss every day. Using traditional dental floss can be challenging for many people. Fortunately, there are various options available to help clean the spaces between your teeth and gums, such as individual-use flossers, water flossers, and other options. Try different methods until you find one that works best for you!
- Drink water throughout the day. Staying hydrated isn’t just good for your body! Drinking water helps wash away sticky, sugary, and acidic foods and helps with saliva production, which is important for good oral health and fresh breath.
- Substitute crunchy fruits and vegetables for sugary and starchy snacks. Chewing on crunchy produce helps clean the teeth and offers many health benefits compared to processed, sugary snacks.
- See your dentist for regular cleanings and check-ups. Even with great home hygiene, plaque can accumulate in hard-to-reach areas and, once it hardens into tartar, cannot be removed at home with brushing alone. Professional dental cleaning removes cavity-causing plaque, tartar, and bacteria and leaves you with a sparkling smile.
To schedule your dental cleaning at Scott and Derry Dental Care, call us in Milton, Ontario, today at (855) 438-4999.
Share this Article
Back to Dental Hygiene Page